YUM! Anything that involves buffalo chicken is a must try for me. This Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad is super simple and easy to make. I think that sometimes people feel like in order to be healthy, they have to sacrifice taste, and that just isn’t true! This dish proves it.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles, plus more for garnish
- 4 green onions chopped, save half for garnish
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I recommend Franks)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse quinoa well and drain.
- In a medium pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking make the buffalo sauce dressing and cook the chicken and broccoli.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl combine the olive oil, hot sauce, and seasoned salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and saute the broccoli for about 5 minutes. You want it to just start to soften, but still be crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the same pan and cook the chicken for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add 1/4 cup or so of the buffalo sauce and cook until the chicken absorbs the sauce.
- When the quinoa is ready add the chicken, broccoli, carrots, shredded cabbage and as much of the dressing as desired (I ended up using all of the dressing, but we like things extra saucy) and toss well.
- Add the blue cheese and half of the green onions. Toss again and serve warm with extra blue cheese crumbles and green onions.
Original recipe and photos found HERE.