I don’t think I really need to say much about this recipe- the title speaks for itself! I have an amazing Baked Potato Soup recipe that I have been making for years, but it is in no way “skinny.” It is full of butter, full fat sour cream, and tons of bacon. It’s delicious, but I can’t make it very often because it does not fit very well into my meal plan.
I was so happy to find this Skinny Baked Potato Soup recipe from Skinny Taste because it is easy to fit it into my plan and not feel guilty about it. Comfort food at it’s finest! The cauliflower puree will add bulk without compromising the taste. You won’t even be able to tell it’s in there.
- 2 russet potatoes, washed and dried
- 1 small head of cauliflower, stem removed cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 10 tbsp reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp chopped chives, divided
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (you can use turkey bacon if you prefer)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork, bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes (or leave skin on if you prefer).
- Meanwhile, steam cauliflower with water in a large covered pot until tender. Drain and return to pot.
- On medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- Add sour cream, half the chives, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl. Top each serving with 2 tbsp cheese, remaining chives, and bacon.
Original Recipe found HERE.
Recipe note: I try to stay away from “fat free” and “light” products, however, I tend to use them as called for in this recipe because it keeps the calories down. Just remember, removing the fat from a product typically means they are adding in something else to make up for the loss of flavor (sugar, salt, etc). Use your own judgement here!
If you enjoyed this recipe or plan on making it in the future, leave me a comment and let me know! Pin it for later use and share with your friends.