I love me a good crockpot meal in the fall and winter, and this one is the perfect blend between easy and healthy. If you love burritos, there is no doubt that you are going to love this recipe. You have the option of eating it right in a bowl and cutting out the tortilla, which means less calories! If you are concerned about calories at this point in your life, go light on the cheese and sour cream.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or a mix
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- *Optional toppings: *shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, salsa, hot sauce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce
- Combine the chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, chili powder, salt, and cumin in the bowl of a 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Make sure the chicken is covered. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and add the rice, black beans, frozen corn, and another 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Replace the lid and continue cooking on low for another 3 to 4 hours. Check the rice periodically in the last hour of cooking, stirring once or twice to make sure the rice cooks evenly and adding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the rice is tender — if the rice is done while there is still liquid left in the slow cooker, remove the lid and cook on high to let the liquid evaporate. Total cooking time from start to finish is 6 to 8 hours.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. You can do this either in the slow cooker itself and then mix it into the rice, or you can transfer the chicken to a cutting board if you prefer to keep it separate. Taste the burrito mix and stir in more salt or other seasonings to taste.
- Serve burrito bowls with a selection of toppings. The burrito mixture will keep for 1 week refrigerated or for 3 months in the freezer. This recipe makes about 7 total cups of burrito mix.
- *Cooking the Rice Separately: *If you won’t be home to add the rice to the slow cooker, you can skip this step and cook it separately on the stovetop just before serving. To modify the recipe, combine the chicken, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of stock, and spices in the slow cooker and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low. Add the black beans and corn, and cook for another 1/2 hour, or until warmed through, while you’re cooking the rice (omit the remaining chicken stock).
- *Vegetarian Burrito Bowls: *Combine the diced tomatoes, 1 cup of vegetable stock, spices, rice, black beans, and corn in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. Stir once or twice toward the end of cooking to make sure the rice is cooking evenly.
- *Beyond Burrito Bowls: *Besides burrito bowls, you can use this filling to make regular tortilla-wrapped burritos or freezer burritos.
Original Recipe found HERE.
*WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU NEVER MISS ONE OF MY POSTS? *
CLICK HERE AND SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL.